How Do I...?


Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a Soliciting Permit?

Yes. If you are soliciting business from residents, you must apply for a Soliciting Permit in person at the Police Department. The Permit fee is $25.00 plus a $5.00 fee for an identification badge. A copy of the Soliciting Permit Application may be printed from the Forms section of this website. This Permit is for Hilltown Township only. Please contact the Silverdale Borough Office (215-257-5550) for information on soliciting in the Borough.

Am I permitted to conduct a controlled burn in Hilltown Township?

No, in general. The Board of Supervisors adopted a new Open Burning Ordinance (#2010 – 5) on September 27, 2010 in order to comply with PA DEP regulations. Residents are no longer permitted to burn leaves, branches, etc. However, residents are permitted to have fires strictly for ceremonial, recreational and cooking purposes. On weekdays during business hours, persons conducting a burn for one of the permitted reasons must call the Police Department Office (215-453-6000) prior to starting. On weekends, holidays, and after business hours, please call the Bucks County Radio Fire Board (215-345-1411) directly.

You are required to have fire control/suppression equipment present and may not leave a fire unattended. All burning is prohibited between the hours of 1:00 A.M. and 5:00 A.M.

The Police Department advises those conducting burns to be considerate of their neighbors. Smoke from these fires can infiltrate neighbors’ residences creating a nuisance especially during the warm weather. It can also cause breathing difficulties particularly for the elderly and those with asthma, etc. Burning may be restricted at certain times due to high winds, dry conditions or drought emergencies.

This is a brief synopsis of the Township’s regulations concerning Open Burning. Please review the entire Ordinance 2010-5, Open Burning, for further information.

How can I get a copy of an accident report?

Send a check for $15.00 payable to Hilltown Township to the Hilltown Township Police Department P.O. Box 260, Hilltown, PA 18927. Please include the Accident Report Number, Incident Number or Date, Time, Location, and Names of the drivers along with your request. The report will be mailed when completed. This sometimes takes a couple weeks due to completing the investigation, the approval process, and laboratory testing, if applicable. You may also call the Police Department Office (215-453-6000) during business hours to request a report or to check on the status of a request.

How do I get a copy of an incident or investigative report?

Some reports are not immediately available for release. Active investigations or cases pending in the Courts will not be released and some sensitive in nature will be released only upon issuance of a subpoena. These reports are also subject to a $15.00 fee payable to Hilltown Township. Please call the Police Department Office (215-453-6000) to check on the availability of a specific report.

Do I need to complete a Move In or Move Out Permit?

Move In and Move Out Permits are required by Township Ordinance. Those persons moving into or out of Hilltown Township are required to complete and submit the applicable Permit to the Police Department. The information provided on the Permit is used by the Police Department for emergency purposes. This information is also used for tax purposes. A copy of the Permits can be printed from the Forms section of this website.

Are Alarm Permits required for installing an alarm in my residence or business?

Yes. You are required by ordinance to register your alarm with the Police Department. There is an application fee of $10.00 made payable to Hilltown Township that must accompany the application. Please review the content of Chapter 42, Alarms, of the Hilltown Township Code for additional information. A copy of the application can be printed from the Forms section of the website.

False alarms can be a nuisance to neighbors and are dangerous for Police Officers. Systems must be properly maintained to prevent false activations. Residents and businesses having more than three (3) false alarm activations in the preceding twelve (12) month period will be subject to a fine as a penalty to encourage compliance. Alarms found to be the result of a criminal act, extreme weather condition, etc. will not count as a false alarm if the activation is deemed legitimate or is otherwise justified.

Residents or businesses must update their emergency contact list with the Police Department Office (215-453-6000) whenever there is change so the Police Department can contact someone in the event of an emergency.

What can businesses and residents do to help the Police Department?

Businesses should be vigilant in taking appropriate security precautions at their facility. In addition, the Police Department's Crime Prevention Officer can conduct a security review upon request. Business owners/managers should update their emergency contact information with the Police Department Office (215-453-6000) whenever a change in personnel has occurred. Business owners/managers are also encouraged to call the Police to report special events, work hour changes, etc. taking place at their facility.

Residents should also take appropriate security precautions at their residence. This includes keeping doors and windows locked, especially when the residence is unoccupied. Vehicles should be kept locked and valuables should never be left inside. These have proven to be popular targets for criminals. Also, residents are strongly urged to report suspicious persons and events immediately.

Residents and business personnel are encouraged to contact the Police Department with any public safety concerns so they may be addressed accordingly.